National Professional Qualifications
We are working in partnership with the Exchange Teaching Hub to deliver the new suite of National Professional Qualifications.
Teaching School Hub (teaching-school-hubs.org.uk)
The DfE have now extending funded training scholarships for all NPQs for the next two years, to support participants undertaking NPQs in 22/23 and 23/24. You can register for one of our NPQs by selecting UCL and the Barnsley and Doncaster Teaching School Hub on the DfE NPQ Registration Service.
Scholarships are available for all teachers and leaders in state schools
DfE funded scholarships are available for all teachers and leaders employed in state funded schools and state funded organisations that offer 16-19 places in England.
Targeted support is also available, a grant payment of £200 per participant to settings with 1-600 pupils for every teacher or leader they employ who participates in an NPQ.
Applicants should discuss with their line manager before applying, recognising that the programmes require a significant commitment from both schools and participants.
The qualifications are designed and delivered through collaborative partnerships between UCL, regional, national and international delivery partners.
Together, UCL and school partners have drawn on their leadership professional learning expertise to design the current programmes ensuring they are informed by research and practice.
- NPQ Leading Literacy (NPQLL) – this programme will develop participants’ expertise in leading literacy by developing a deep understanding of evidence-based practice in language reading and writing.
- NPQ Leading Teaching (NPQLT) – designed for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading teaching in a subject, year group, key stage or phase.
- NPQ Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD) – designed for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school. They may have responsibilities for the development of all teachers across a school or specifically trainees or teachers who are early in their career.
- NPQ Leading Behaviour and Culture (NPQLBC) – designed for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading behaviour and/or supporting pupil wellbeing in their school.
- NPQ Senior Leadership (NPQSL) – designed for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, a senior leader with cross-school responsibilities.
- NPQ Early Years Leadership (NPQEYL) – designed for early years leaders qualified to at least Level 3 with full and relevant qualifications working in a wide range of Early Years (EY) settings including Private, Voluntary or Independent (PVI) with leadership responsibilities.
- NPQ Headship (NPQH) – designed for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, a headteacher or head of school with responsibility for leading a school.
- Early Headship Coaching Offer – this bespoke programme consists of tailored resources, coaching and peer networking opportunities to support ongoing professional development and wellbeing. The additional support offer is designed for those in their first five years of headship.
- NPQ Executive Leadership (NPQEL) – designed for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, an executive headteacher or a school trust CEO with responsibility for leading several schools.
How to register for a NPQ – A step-by-step guide