If you employ a newly qualified teacher (NQT) in your school, you have a number of responsibilites that you must fulfil.
Before you employ an NQT:
- You must make sure that they have qualified teacher status (QTS)
- You must make sure that the post is suitable for induction
- You must provide us a named mentor contact
when you have employed an NQT:
Registering your NQT:
- You must register the NQT with the appropriate body (High View Primary Learning Centre) – this is a legislative requirement of the Teaching Regulation Agency – any delay to the registration may result in the NQT having to undertake a longer induction period.
- You cannot register an NQT retrospectively.
Assessing your NQT’s performance:
- You should complete termly assessments of your NQT’s performance evidencing towards the standards as specified in the Teachers’ Professional Standards.
- Please send completed assessments back to us on a termly basis (for full time NQTs).
- If your NQT leaves the school before completing the induction period, you must complete an interim assessment to make sure that the induction can be continued effectively in any subsequent post.
Assessment report forms and deadlines
Deadlines for submission of NQT assessment reports for 2019- 2020:
- Autumn term – one week before school breaks up for Christmas
- Spring term – one week before school breaks up for Easter
- Summer term – two weeks before school breaks up for Summer
Please submit reports on time so that we can discharge our statutory responsibilities and fulfil our monitoring function.
Please email your completed assessment forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assessment Form
- Assessment Form (Learners First)
- Assessment Form Primary EXAMPLE
- Assessment Form Secondary EXAMPLE
- Registration form (Learners First)