The purpose of this cross-phase programme is to provide effective support for Initial Teacher
Training (ITT) trainees who are transitioning into Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) positions
commencing in September 2021. The course has been developed to ‘bridge the gaps’ created by
reduced training time in schools due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
The programme is designed for ITT trainees who have been offered an NQT contract of employment within a Barnsley school (primary, secondary, maintained or academy).
This opportunity is built to bridge the gap between the ITT Core Content Framework and the Early Careers Framework.
We will work closely with Initial Training Providers to identify the Teacher Standards that have been recognised as the weakest areas overall at the end of the training course.
Each participant will be required to complete an online needs analysis form to identify areas of the core content where they feel the need for additional input/support. This will inform the
content for the Bridging Programme. Sessions will be planned with direct links to the Teacher Standards, using evidence informed practice.
3 CONSECUTIVE DAYS FACE TO FACE TRAINING IN THE SUMMER TERM FOLLOWED BY 3 FACE TO FACE TWILIGHTS DURING THE AUTUMN TERM.
• Wednesday 7th July • Thursday 8th July • Friday 9th July • 9.00-5.00pm Venue: To be confirmed.
• Thursday 16th September • Friday 23rd September • Venue: 2.30pm-6.00pm Horizon Community College.
• The programme will be facilitated by Primary and Secondary Specialist Leaders of Education
(SLEs) who are experienced in supporting both ITT trainees and Early Career Teachers.
• Upon booking onto the course, participants will receive a link to access the online needs analysis
• A group forum using ‘Basecamp’ will be established so that NQTs can access peer support over
the summer holidays. Two SLEs will monitor the forum to respond to NQTs on a weekly basis to
ensure that they have continued online support prior to commencing their new teaching role.
• The final two days will take place during the Autumn term, enabling SLEs to provide ongoing
early support as the NQTs embark on the responsibilities of having their own class.
• The final sessions will be planned cohesively with the Early Careers Framework sessions
providing a seamless package of support.
• Lunch and refreshments will be provided. Participants must inform us prior to the day regarding
any specific dietary requirements.
Please click the link below to book.