he EAL Champion programme is a nationally recognised intensive programme of professional development for teachers/leaders on EAL practice and pedagogy with school based action research and mentoring. It consists of 5 half-day training sessions and two mentoring sessions enabling the Champion to acquire specialist knowledge and skills to fulfil their role in school. Participants undertake a small scale action research project focussing on an area relevant to the school / setting. There is mentoring and support from consultants to undertake this project.
This programme will support EAL Champions to:
• Develop their own expertise to improve and enhance current EAL provision in school
• Develop learning and teaching through a greater understanding of EAL pedagogy and practice
• Implement nationally and locally recognised EAL strategy and effective practice within their school
• Provide an additional level of identified support within their own school
• Raise attainment of EAL learners by promoting the use of materials / resources by modelling good practice and promoting the use of relevant materials and resources
• Support their colleagues in school through modelling and coaching in school to plan, assess, set targets, and provide effective learning and teaching to raise the attainment of EAL learners
• Provide input and support for Champions to deliver school based INSET training
• Provide advice and support to colleagues in school on scaffolding the linguistic and academic development of EAL learners
• Network with other teachers and leaders to exchange ideas and share practice to enhance the learning for pupils and staff
All sessions will run face to face at: HCAT, Unit 7, Great Cliffe Court, Dodworth, Barnsley, S75 3SP
COST / PLACES AVAILABLE:
The programme will be funded by The Barnsley Schools’Alliance Board. There will be no charge to schools for delegates to attend. Cancellation Policy applies.
CLICK THE LINK TO RESERVE A PLACE